The Voodoo Rooms
- Telephone 0131 556 7060
- Opening times Mon–Thu 4pm–1am; Fri–Sun noon–1am.
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas: open until 3am if busy.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 4pm–1am; Fri–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu 4–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Table back before 7pm
- Pre-theatre price 20% off the set menu
- Website www.thevoodoorooms.com
Competitively priced bistro staples within a live music-driven, eccentrically blinged-up period setting.
Raising your voice over the music might not appeal to all diners, but the energising beat of live blues and rock'n'roll from the gig next door epitomises what this artsy, gothic venue is all about. The cocktail offering follows in the same spirit. A repertoire rife with imaginative descriptions and mysterious ingredients, often dipping into that impressive back bar of over 60 rums and tequilas, there's – unsurprisingly – not a Cosmo in sight. Food takes more of a backseat. Thai hot and sour soup seems to have stumbled onto the menu by accident, while a purist might argue that, despite being satisfying, fennel and mushroom-crusted pork fillet does not belong on a bed of goat's cheese ravioli. Popping candy adds a playful element to the indulgent dark chocolate ganache, but lemon thyme set cream with peaches evokes memories of grandma’s blancmange. But whether it's for some posh pre-gig grub or an after work bevvy, you can't help but sit back in the padded leather booths and marvel at the ornate black and gold Victorian ceiling.
- Private dining: 100 seated, 200 standing
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: eclectic mix
- Live entertainment: Live music, comedy, themed nights at least once a week, disco and house DJ from 9pm on Fri & Sat.
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £17 (red); £18 (white) per bottle
Reviews & features
Compare the Market launch new 2 for 1 Meerkat Meals, restaurants in Edinburgh participate7 Aug 2018
Alongside big chains independent Edinburgh restaurants 11, Zucca, The Rosehip, Bar Brig and more will participate
Thanks to the latest money saving incentive from Compare the Market you can now dine out on 2 for 1 starters, mains and desserts with Meerkat Meals. The deal runs in conjunction with the ever popular 2 for 1 cinema ticket deal Meerkat Movies, and is…
The Twilight Sad4 Dec 2009
In our four-star review of their debut album Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters, the List proclaimed that the Twilight Sad are ‘a band who make sad music – yet it’s that particular Scottish sadness which finds itself couched in a kind of…
Cocktail kudos17 Jul 2008
Shervene Shahbazkhani recently won the Scottish heats of the 42 Below Cocktail World Cup in Edinburgh with her innovative cocktail, ‘Bring the Beat Back’. She describes how she made it; ‘I tend to follow what my instincts tell me to make. Most cocktails…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of The Voodoo Rooms./5 from RSS feed of these comments