- The List
- 1 August 2007
This article is from 2007.
• Truckfest Scotland See trucks crush cars! See trucks roar! Drink beer! Eat meat! Beat chest! Insert your own ‘ . . . and that’s just the girls’ joke here! Royal Highland Centre, Sat 4–Sun 5.
• Dr Sketchy’s Burlesque Art Salon Pack your pencil case and saunter on down to Dr Sketchy’s, the alternative art school where all the models are burlesque performers, and the alcohol flows (fairly) freely. Everyone’s welcome, but be warned: dress code veers towards the stylish, so you might want to pop that dirty mac into the dry cleaners. Green Room, throughout the Festival.
• Visit Little Sparta Prefer your art a little less tawdry? Remove yourself to the Pentland Hills, where the late, much-missed artist and poet Ian Hamilton Finlay spent years creating a garden gallery fusing words, sculpture and ideas. See listings. Buses leave from the Ingleby Gallery every Wednesday during the Festival.
• Festival of Spirituality and Peace By now, you’ve probably processed through all that anger and lust, and are in the right sort of space for something a little more intellectually challenging. The least assuming of Edinburgh’s many festivals is a multi-faith, multi-faceted series of talks, meditations and musical interjections from none other than Tony Benn. Various venues, from Sun 5 Aug.
• The Comic Book Project See preview. The Collective Gallery 2, until 2 Sep.
• Yellow Jacket See preview. Traverse 3 (Edinburgh Drill Hall), 6 Aug.
• Lost & Sound: From the Collection of Mark Newgarden See preview. The Filmhouse, 23 Aug.
• Suzanne Andrade, Brian Dewan, John Hegley & Simon Munnery See preview. Charlotte Square Gardens, 26 Aug.